What a difference a year makes

I was feeling a bit melancholy today, the year has passed so quickly yet so much has happened. You sometimes forget or put to the back of your mind significant or painful memories.

I'm not sure what triggered the memory or why even I had put it to the back of my mind. This time last year, one of my siblings was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cervical cancer. It was a few weeks until an operation was to be done to see what treatments could be undertaken and life where possible, was continuing normally for the children. There was one night, when we were preparing presents for one of the children when she cried and said 'I don't even know if I will be here this time next year.' What could I have said to console her, I felt helpless. It had been less than two years since my father died, yet cancer was the unwelcome visitor to our family again.

Luckily for us, and I know this doesn't happen to everyone, the doctor was able to stop the cancer with an operation. My sibling is here another year on, ready to celebrate birthdays, Christmas or just to take the kids to school.

I've been feeling run down, worried about job futures, the price of living so this memory was like a kick up the bum! These problems can be fixed and I need to put into perspective how lucky I am. Most importantly life is too bloody short!

While not linked to this post, I've posted the song from the Glee Season Finale - Somewhere over the rainbow. It's such a beautiful song, it kind of lifted my spirits, hope it does the same for you. xx

Comments

Make Do Style said…
Awh. So glad your sister is in good health again. It is hard to not get down when anxiety about matters creeps on us but good you could give yourself a pep talk xx

Popular posts from this blog

Brassed Off (1996)- Danny's speech

My new obsession

Shoe of the week