Back in the land of the living


I've been in self-exile while recovering from a lovely chest infection and I'm finally on the mend. 

During my exile, I've realised a number of things.
1) I need to work, despite Sky+ recordings, magazines and DVDs I was still bored
2) I actually dislike the majority of daytime television
3) I have a slight addiction to Homes Under the Hammer. I love it when a neglected run-down property gives a complete makeover.
4) That Mary Portas is my new style icon, I'm hitting my forties next year and Mary has proved that older woman can still lead the way in fashion.  I've been watching her current series Mary Queen of Shops on BBC2 and its really good, both how she is helping small businesses and wears some fab clothes too!  There are a couple of items in my wardrobe that could emulate her style.
5) The need to declutter - with our house renovations, we've visited other friend's houses to get ideas for the flooring in our hallway.  They're at that stage where their houses are complete and their rooms could easily fit the pages of Ideal Homes.  Its just highlighted to me about how much clutter we have gradually built up for the past eight years.  So this week, I am going to sort out my trash from treasure and raise a little money doing a car boot sale.  Perhaps, I'll make enough money to add another pair of shoes to my collection . . .



6) I love free stuff! The latest issue of Glamour magazine arrived in the post with a free book - I heart New York. The story's about a girl, with a love of shoes, who runs away from her problems to NYC.  This will be a great book to read while relaxing in the garden, hopefully the great British summer will not let me down!



7) A little of what you fancy does you good.  I'm also trying to be good and limiting myself to window-shopping.  This month I've made a couple of purchases: a recycled bag from Next (£5), a pair of earrings (£2) and a pink ring (£1) from Dorothy Perkins. Very small purchases that satisfied my need for retail therapy.

8) Extending your wardrobe life. I found this article on the Guardian online really interesting. its about how the concept of fashion is changing, its no longer fast where you might buy a top that is completely out of date a few months down the line.  Its all about classic clothes that can last the distance and still look chic.

Comments

Abi Gray said…
oh and I just read this book last week, really, really enjoyed it! xx

Popular posts from this blog

Brassed Off (1996)- Danny's speech

My new obsession

Shoe of the week